A Journey resumed...
I remember fancying myself a neo-renaissance man as a young teen. I wanted to be well versed at a variety of things. And everything that I did I wanted to do well. At some point between my teen years and this present state of adulthood, I put down that quest, and descended into resignation, acceptance, and mind numbing passage of time. I simply existed without much point or purpose. I now find that I am a husband, a father, and a good one at that. But I am not an example... I would not put myself out there as someone that I would want my children to become. I have accepted the life of the spectator, content to watch and not be seen... in a state of mindfully waiting for my own passage.
That is not me, not my destiny, not my purpose and not my journey. I need to live. I am picking up many of the things that I have put down. I imagine that they will feel like somewhat of a burden to me initially, their weight unfamiliar upon my frame now weakened from disuse. And yet I believe there to be strength... I believe that there is something that was once sought that remains to be found and cherished.
I begin my walk with a set of goals:
1. I will read the 200 works referenced on this site. I imagine that there may be quite a bit of overlap, so in truth the least number of books to read will be 100. I am looking for the nuggets of gold hidden in books. I'm unsure what I will do with them, but I will begin with finding them and see if I or another can appreciate their value going forward: http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestnonfiction.html
2. I will get down to a lean stomach. I could phrase this differently, but in essence - I believe that my health is key to my enjoyment of life, and my ability to think clearly. If I am concerned or spending an inordinate amount of time trying to repair the vessel, I don't expect that I will be making great strides towards my journey.
3. I have integrated a devotional into my desktop. Since I start most days logging on to my PC. What better way to start it than with another man's interpretation of the supposed word of the Lord. (At the beginning of this journey, my faith is weakened - there are many questions unanswered, many hypocrisies overlooked, many inconsistencies unresolved. This is a journey for truth, and wisdom, and in all honesty for the Lord. Not the Lord given, but the one received....
That is not me, not my destiny, not my purpose and not my journey. I need to live. I am picking up many of the things that I have put down. I imagine that they will feel like somewhat of a burden to me initially, their weight unfamiliar upon my frame now weakened from disuse. And yet I believe there to be strength... I believe that there is something that was once sought that remains to be found and cherished.
I begin my walk with a set of goals:
1. I will read the 200 works referenced on this site. I imagine that there may be quite a bit of overlap, so in truth the least number of books to read will be 100. I am looking for the nuggets of gold hidden in books. I'm unsure what I will do with them, but I will begin with finding them and see if I or another can appreciate their value going forward: http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestnonfiction.html
2. I will get down to a lean stomach. I could phrase this differently, but in essence - I believe that my health is key to my enjoyment of life, and my ability to think clearly. If I am concerned or spending an inordinate amount of time trying to repair the vessel, I don't expect that I will be making great strides towards my journey.
3. I have integrated a devotional into my desktop. Since I start most days logging on to my PC. What better way to start it than with another man's interpretation of the supposed word of the Lord. (At the beginning of this journey, my faith is weakened - there are many questions unanswered, many hypocrisies overlooked, many inconsistencies unresolved. This is a journey for truth, and wisdom, and in all honesty for the Lord. Not the Lord given, but the one received....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home